LANCASTER, Pa. – Penn State Harrisburg softball passed the .500 mark for the first time this spring thanks to a doubleheader sweep of Lancaster Bible on Tuesday afternoon, April 20. The Lions picked up a 7-4 victory in the opening contest before coming away with a 6-1 win in the nightcap.
Penn State Harrisburg racked up 13 hits en route to a 7-4 victory in the opening outing of the team's doubleheader at Lancaster Bible on Tuesday. Steph Reider racked up three hits, including a double, Kaylee DeMatteo drove in a pair of runs, and Courtney Fleisher earned her second win of the season inside the circle.
DeMatteo's two-out single in the top of the first drove in a pair of runs before Sierra Dixon added a another tally thanks to single to center field that plated DeMatteo later in the frame. A Lancaster Bible error in the third allowed Reider to come across and the visitors held a 4-0 advantage after three stanzas.
The Chargers cut the deficit to one in the bottom of the fourth behind three Penn State Harrisburg errors but the Blue & White responded with a run in the top of ensuing frame when Sarah Coolbaugh singled to right field and scored Harley Sampson in the process. The visitors tacked on two more in the sixth and while LBC was able to get one back in the seventh, a line-out double play ended the threat and the game.
The Lions used a couple crooked numbers in the middle innings to pull away from Lancaster Bible in a 6-1 victory in the second game of the team's conference doubleheader on Tuesday. Mary-Kate Penczkowski had a great outing inside the circle, allowing just one run on three hits in earning the win.
Trailing 1-0 after the first frame, Penn State Harrisburg got on the board when an LBC error allowed Courtney Fleisher to come across in the top of the third before Samantha Weaver and Madelyn Pyle each recorded RBIs in the fourth to give the visitors their first advantage of game two.
Fleisher's two-out RBI single scored Delaney Nevius in the top of the fifth and the Lions created some breathing room with two more runs in the sixth thanks to a Sarah Coolbaugh single that plated Madelyn Krantz and Nevius' double that drove in Steph Reider. Penczkowski retired the Chargers in order in the bottom of the seventh to clinch the victory and secure the doubleheader sweep.
- Steph Reider was strong at the dish in game one, finishing 3-for-5 with a double and two runs scored.
- Kaylee DeMatteo drove in a game-high two runs in the opener.
- Fleisher got the start and the win in game one, allowing just one run on three hits to go along with three strikeouts.
- Mary-Kate Penczkowski picked up her fifth win of the season in game two, allowing just three hits and striking out eight.
- Fleisher and Samantha Weaver were Blue & White players who finished with multi-hit outings in the nightcap.
- Seven Lancaster Bible errors led to five unearned runs for the Lions in the second game.
- No errors for the Blue & White in the second contest.
- With the victories, Penn State Harrisburg improved to 8-7-1 overall and 8-6 in conference play.
The Lions return home to host Penn State Abington for another conference doubleheader on Saturday afternoon, April 24.