Penn State Harrisburg 83, Gallaudet 67
Baylor-Carroll, Haynes, Scott III, Curry, Daniels
Valencia-Biskupiak, Sherman, Kelly, Valencia, Jones
How It Happened
Penn State Harrisburg jumped out to a big advantage, held off a run and eventually closed things out down the stretch in the team's 83-67 victory over North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) divisional foe Gallaudet in Washington, D.C. on Wednesday night.
Donyae Baylor-Carroll flirted with a triple-double and finished 25 points, 10 assists and seven rebounds. Nate Curry added 17 points and seven rebounds, while both Zegary Scott III and Dylan Daniels nearly had double-doubles. Daniels racked up 12 points and finished one rebound and one block shy of a triple-double, while Scott III had 10 points and eight assists.
After a neck-and-neck opening 10 minutes, the Lions (11-6, 7-1 NEAC) put some distance between themselves and the Bison (2-15, 2-6 NEAC) thanks to an 12-0 run that stretched the advantage from 19-14 to 31-14 at the 6:01 mark. The nearly four-minute spurt saw Scott III, Curry, Baylor-Carroll and Pedro Rodriguez all find twine.
Baylor-Carroll got hot from distance in the final minutes of the first half and knocked down four 3-balls in the span of two minutes to push the advantage to 50-29 heading into halftime.
The Blue & White lead grew to as many as 31 points following a Charles Faulconer jumper with 12:25 left to play but the home team made a last-ditch push and cut the seemingly insurmountable deficit to a more-manageable 12 points with 7:05 remaining.
The visitors kicked things into another gear in crunch time, however, stemming the tide with back-to-back layups from Scott III and Daniels before Baylor-Carroll and Daniels converted four consecutive free throws to put things out of reach for good with less than two minutes left.
Inside the Numbers
- The Lions shot 44.8 percent from the field and 37 percent from 3-point territory, compared to 34.7 percent from the floor and 33.3 percent from distance for GU.
- As a team, the Blue & White racked up 25 assists on 30 made field goals.
- Penn State Harrisburg won the rebounding battle 49-43.
- The Lions' reserves outscored the Gallaudet bench 14-3.
- The Blue & White are currently riding a five-game win streak.
- Donyae Baylor-Carroll stuffed the stat sheet en route to recording a double-double. He racked up 25 points, 10 assists, seven rebounds and two steals.
- Dylan Daniels nearly had a triple-double. He finished with 12 points, nine blocks and nine boards.
- Nate Curry netted 17 points to go along with seven rebounds and a pair of steals.
- Zegary Scott III nearly posted a double-double with 10 points and eight assists. He also grabbed six boards.
- Noah Valencia scored a game-high 29 points on 21 shots to lead the way for the Bison.
The Lions return home to host conference foe Penn College at the Capital Union Building on Saturday afternoon, Feb. 1.