Penn State Harrisburg 3, Gwynedd Mercy 0
(25-16, 25-15, 25-15)
Morris, Kreider, Imler, Ebaugh, Buckingham, Ruff, Cook (L)
McGlinn, McTamney, Schreiber, Mosser, Morgan, Schule, Saalfrank (L)
How It Happened
Penn State Harrisburg made quick work of Gwynedd Mercy at the Capital Union Building on Thursday night, Oct. 24, sweeping the visitors in the three sets by scores of 25-16, 25-15 and 25-15.
The Lions (12-11) jumped out to a 7-1 lead in the opening set during a service run by Corrinne Cook before the Griffins (11-12) clawed back to grab their first advantage at 9-8. Things remained close until the midway point when the Blue & White forced a GMU timeout that couldn't stop a 12-to-2 run capped by a Brittany Ebaugh kill off an Alexis Imler assist.
The home team kept rolling in the second set and took an 8-2 lead in the opening minutes. A kill from Melanie Sheaffer off a feed from Alyssa Snyder prompted a Gwynedd Mercy timeout with the Lions in front 16-10 but it did little to stem the tide, as kills from Anna Ruff and Cheyanna Buckingham aided Penn State Harrisburg in taking set two 25-15.
The third set was rarely in doubt, as the Blue & White got off to another strong start that saw Imler's kill off a Snyder pass quickly make it 7-2. Jewel Crumbley tacked on a point with a kill in the closing moments before a GMU service error sealed the set and the overall match for the Lions.
Inside the Numbers
- Brittany Ebaugh tallied a match-high 11 kills on .409 hitting to go along with three block solos and one assisted block.
- Katelyn Kreider tabbed nine kills, two service aces, nine digs and a pair of assists.
- Sheaffer hit .750 on the night and added an ace and two block assists.
- Alexis Imler had 20 assists to go along with four kills and seven digs.
- Alyssa Snyder assisted on 13 points.
- The Lions posted 42 total kills, compared to just 17 for Gwynedd Mercy.
The Lions return to North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) play against SUNY Poly and SUNY Cobleskill at Penn State Abington on Saturday afternoon, Oct. 26.