CAC Tournament First Round
Mary Washington 1, Penn State Harrisburg 0
Arnold, Haladay, Dichio, Derrickson, Fake, Smedley, Smith, Sharrow, Socash, Vavrek, Hemler
Macomber, Bauman, Carson, Zimmerman, Brown, Williams, Brady, Brooks, Rauch, Severin, Cardillo
How It Happened
Penn State Harrisburg's season came to an end with a hard-fought 1-0 loss at Mary Washington in the opening round of the 2018 Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) Women's Soccer Tournament on Saturday, Oct. 27.
The hotly-contest postseason affair proved a defensive struggle for much of the afternoon, as the game remained scoreless at halftime. The Lions (8-11-1) struggled to get the offense going in the first 45 minutes, evidenced by the team's inability to get off a shot in the opening half.
The momentum swung quickly after the break when the Eagles (11-3-1) netted what proved to be the game-winning goal in the 51st minute. UMW's Margot Brown found twine off an assist from Corinne Carson with 34:18 left to play.
The Blue & White made a push as the second half wound down, earning a corner kick in the 62nd minute before Hollie Hothaus put a shot on frame less than a minute later. The visitors kept the pressure on when Haley Vavrek put an attempt on target in the 66th minute but UMW goalkeeper Kelcie Macomber proved game in turning it away.
Harrisburg pressed in the final minutes and got off one last desperation attempt at an equalizer but Kaeleigh Smedley's shot went high with less than a minute remaining, allowing the Eagles to hold on and advance.
Inside the Numbers
- UMW held the edge in both total attempts (15-3) and shots on goal (8-2).
- The Eagles finished with a 9-1 advantage in corner kicks.
- The teams combined for three yellow cards on the day.
- Kaeleigh Smedley accounted for Penn State Harrisburg's third attempt.
- Kayla Arnold made seven saves in goal for the Blue & White.
- Mary Washington goalkeeper Kelcie Macomber made two stops in earning the shutout victory.