Pride - Spirit - Honor Tournament
Penn State Harrisburg 72, Lehman 37
Amey, Butler, Kublak, Cade, Mahan
Trawelleh, Gonzalez, Vasquez, Gill, Rojas
How It Happened
Penn State Harrisburg (1-2) defeated Lehman College (0-3) by the score of 72-37 in the first game of the Pride - Spirit - Honor Tournament present by Fairfield Inn & Suites on Saturday November 23 in the Capital Union Building.
Kendis Butler got the Lions offense off to a strong start, connecting on a three-pointer and drawing a foul in the process, giving the Lions a 4-0 advantage. After seven straight points from the Lightning, Butler would again connect from deep, tying the game at seven. Continuing her rhythm, Butler hit her third triple of the quarter, part of her 10 point first quarter burst. Sydney Gordon and Macy Carroll added a threes of their own, to grow the lead to 19-13 at the end of the opening quarter.
The Lightning scored the first five points of the second quarter before Anna Mahan knocked down her first three-pointer of the game. Moments later, Carroll came away with a steal finding a wide open Laurel Amey for a layup, putting Harrisburg in front 24-18. Butler added another triple to extend the lead to nine, midway through the second quarter. A Paige Kublak steal and score extend the Lions advantage to 29-19. Carroll added a pair of three-pointers to put Harrisburg ahead by 12 points. Butler closed the half as she started it, hitting a three at the buzzer to give Harrisburg a 40-25 advantage at the half. The Blue & White connected on 11 three-pointers in the first half.
The Lions made some halftime adjustments and used aggressive defensive play to come away with three steals resulting in three easy layups. Harrisburg would total six steals in the quarter. Amey and Gordon would connect on two more three-pointers as the Lions built the lead to 28 points heading into the fourth quarter. The Blue & White continued their defensive intensity the final quarter, holding the Lightning to just 12 points in the second half. Amey would knock down the Lions 14th three-pointer in the fourth quarter as the Lions powered to a 72-37 victory.
Inside the Numbers
- The Lions were led by Kendis Butler who scored a game high 18 points, connecting on five three-pointers
- Laurel Amey had a strong outing posting 14 points, 12 of which came in the second half
- The Blue & White connected on a season high 14 three-pointers
- Macy Carroll scored 12 points off the bench
- Sydney Gordon added 10 points, coming away with 4 steals
- The Lightning won the battle on the glass, outrebounding the Lions 54-42
- Lehman was led by Nina Gill who scored 17 points, hauling in 13 rebounds
- The Lions defense held Lehman to 12 second half points, coming away with 16 points
The Lions will face Delaware Valley College in the championship game of the Pride - Spirit - Honor Tournament at 2:00 p.m. Lehman will face Wesley University in the consolation game at 12:00 p.m.