Gallaudet 67, Penn State Harrisburg 62
Baylor-Carroll, Haynes, Scott III, Curry, Daniels
Valencia-Biskupiak, Sherman, Kelly, Valencia, Jones
How It Happened
Penn State Harrisburg's worst shooting night of the season resulted in a 67-62 loss to North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) opponent Gallaudet at the Capital Union Building that ended the team's recent eight-game win streak on Wednesday night, Feb. 12.
The Lions (14-7, 10-2 NEAC) managed to shoot just 31.3 percent from the field and 13.3 percent from 3-point range on the night. Nate Curry's 14-point, 11-rebound double-double led the way, while Pedro Rodriguez added 14 points off the bench. Donyae Baylor-Carroll finished with 13 points and eight boards, while Zegary Scott III had 11 points and seven assists.
The Blue & White were ice cold from the floor in the early going and spotted the Bison (5-16, 5-7 NEAC) a 29-8 lead 14 minutes into the contest. Shooting just 25 percent in the first half, the home team was able to cut the deficit to 13 at the 2:27 mark but GU closed out the half on a 7-2 run to take a 39-21 advantage into the break.
It was more of the same early in the second half, as the visitors stretched their lead to as many as 22 points at 50-28 with little more than 11 minutes remaining.
As the final minutes ticked away, the Lions turned up the defensive pressure and were rewarded with forced turnovers, layups and free throw opportunities. Eventually, Penn State Harrisburg culminated a 23-7 run with a pair of Baylor-Carroll foul shots that cut the deficit to just six with 5:33 left to play.
The Bison were able to halt the Blue & White momentum with a corner 3-ball from Rory Lewis two possessions later, however, and the home team was unable to put together a final push in the closing minutes.
Inside the Numbers
- The loss ended Penn State Harrisburg's recent eight-game win streak.
- The Lions managed to shoot just 31.3 percent from the floor and 4-of-30 from 3-point territory.
- Gallaudet shot 39.7 percent from the field and 39.1 percent from beyond the arc.
- The Blue & White missed of their 24 free throw attempts.
- Penn State Harrisburg won the rebounding battle 48-38.
- Nate Curry recorded a double-double with 14 points and 11 rebounds.
- Pedro Rodriguez netted 14 points in 25 minutes off the bench.
- Donyae Baylor-Carroll finished with 13 points, eight rebounds and three steals.
- Zegary Scott III had 11 points, seven assists, four boards and three steals.
- Dylan Daniels pulled down 10 rebounds to go along with four blocks and two points.
- Chris Haynes had seven points, three boards and a pair of steals.
- Clinton Asalu recorded seven rebounds and four steals off the bench.
- Noah Valencia scored a game-high 23 points for Gallaudet.
Despite the loss, Penn State Harrisburg stills hold a one-game lead in the NEAC South Division standings. The Blue & White are tied atop the overall conference standings with Morrisville State.
The Lions will try to bounce back when they host Keuka for another conference outing on Saturday afternoon.