Penn State Harrisburg 89, Penn State Berks 67
Baylor-Carroll, Haynes, Scott III, Curry, Daniels
Houck, Wise, Rodriguez, Lorah, Koroma
How It Happened
Penn State Harrisburg continued its impressive play of late with an 89-67 victory over North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) foe Penn State Berks at the Capital Union Building on Saturday afternoon, Jan. 25.
The Lions (10-6, 6-1 NEAC) were led by Nate Curry's 16 points and eight rebounds. Chris Haynes tallied 15 points, while Donyae Baylor-Carroll racked up 13 points, seven assists and five steals. Josh Martin recorded 12 points and seven boards off the bench, Dylan Daniels had 10 points, five blocks and five rebounds and Zegary Scott III dished out 12 assists to go along with six points.
The Blue & White jumped out to an early lead and pulled ahead by double digits for the first time when Baylor-Carroll came up with a steal, raced towards the other end and went behind the back to Pedro Rodriguez who finished off a layup in transition to make it 17-7 at the 14:17 mark.
The visitors hung around for much of the first half but five consecutive free throws from Baylor-Carroll at the 4:03 mark opened the floodgates and sparked a 10-0 run that was capped with a pair of foul shots from Daniels that extended the advantage to 20 for the first time.
The home team stretched its 23-point halftime lead to 27 thanks a Rodriguez 3-ball at the 13:19 mark of the second half and never looked back, as Penn State Berks (1-14, 1-6 NEAC) cut the deficit to less than 20 just once the rest of the way.
In the closing moments, reserves Josh Martin, Kobe Petrovich, Charles Faulconer, Robby Bobeck and Donald Friday Jr. checked in, got into the scoring act and closed out the game while refusing to allow the visitors to make any headway in the final minutes.
Inside the Numbers
- The Lions shot 50.8 percent from the field and 41.2 percent from 3-point territory.
- Penn State Berks managed 41.9 percent shooting from the floor and 37 percent shooting from distance.
- The home team finished with a 38-33 advantage in rebounding.
- The Blue & White scored 22 points off 19 Berks turnovers.
- Penn State Harrisburg got to the foul line 26 times, while the visitors managed to shoot just seven free throws.
- The Lions racked up 40 points in the paint.
- The Penn State Harrisburg reserves outscored the visiting bench 29-16.
- Donyae Baylor-Carroll filled up the stat sheet with 13 points, seven assists, five steals and three rebounds.
- Nate Curry netted a team-high 16 points to go along with eight boards.
- Chris Haynes connected on three 3-pointers en route to tallying 15 points.
- Dylan Daniels posted 10 points, five blocks and five rebounds.
- Zegary Scott III dished out an impressive 12 assists to go along with six points and four boards.
- Josh Martin scored a career-high 12 points and grabbed seven rebounds off the bench.
- Pedro Rodriguez also contributed off the bench with six points and four boards.
- Jared Houck scored a game-high 20 points for Penn State Berks.
The Lions look to stay hot when they travel to Gallaudet on Wednesday night, Jan. 29.