Penn State Harrisburg 80, Penn State Abington 64
Baylor-Carroll, Haynes, Scott III, Curry, Daniels
Ghee, Ryan, Fasce, Kennon, Olsen
How It Happened
Penn State Harrisburg used a number of timely second-half buckets to pull away from Penn State Abington and earn an 80-64 road victory in conference play on Wednesday night, Jan. 22.
Donyae Baylor-Carroll led the way with a team-high 18 points, while Dylan Daniels nearly recorded a triple-double with 13 points, 11 rebounds and eight blocks. Nate Curry netted 17 points, Zegary Scott III had 12, Chris Haynes knocked down a trio of 3-pointers to tally nine and Pedro Rodriguez added eight points off the bench.
Trailing 32-28 at the break, the Lions (9-6, 5-1 NEAC) opened the second half with a 13-4 run that included a Haynes 3-ball, six points from Daniels and layups from Scott III and Curry. Baylor-Carroll buried a jumper from beyond the arc to make it 46-38 before adding another jumper to push the advantage to 10 with 11:06 left to play.
Penn State Abington (7-8, 2-4 NEAC) burned a timeout and connected on back-to-back 3-pointers out of the break to cut the deficit to four but Baylor-Carroll sandwiched a pair of jumpers from 3-point territory around a Curry layup to halt the home team's momentum. Curry knocked down a 3-ball of his own for good measure following a Rodriguez steal to push the lead to 65-52 at the 6:11 mark.
Abington pulled to within single digits thanks to a pair of foul shots from Lexuus Fasce but Daniels put an exclamation point on the proceedings with a two-handed jam that drew a foul and knocked his defender to the floor off a feed from Curry. Daniels converted the ensuing free throw to push the lead back to 12 with five minutes remaining.
The home team was forced to foul down the stretch but the Blue & White ended all hopes of an Abington comeback thanks to free throws from Scott III and Rodriguez in the closing moments.
Inside the Numbers
- The Lions shot 52.9 percent in the second half to open up a double-digit lead they wouldn't relinquish.
- Penn State Abington finished with a 42-34 edge on the glass.
- The Blue & White forced 19 turnovers and scored 29 points off Abington miscues.
- Donyae Baylor-Carroll dropped 18 points to go along with five assists and five rebounds.
- Dylan Daniels just missed out on a triple-double with 13 points, 11 rebounds, eight blocks and three steals.
- Nate Curry netted 17 points on 7-of-13 shooting from the floor.
- Zegary Scott III tallied 12 points and added four boards, three assists and a pair of steals.
- Pedro Rodriguez provided the spark off the bench with eight points, four rebounds, three assists and three steals.
- Chris Haynes hit three triples to record nine points.
- Pernell Ghee led the way for Penn State Abington with 22 points.
The Lions return home to host conference foe Penn State Berks at the Capital Union Building on Saturday afternoon, Jan. 25.