Penn State Harrisburg 72, SUNY Poly 60
Baylor-Carroll, Haynes, Scott III, Curry, Daniels
Canty, Banks, Randle, Gregory, O'Dell
How It Happened
Penn State Harrisburg returned to North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) play and handed SUNY Poly a 72-60 loss at the Capital Union Building on Saturday afternoon, Jan. 11.
Nate Curry led the way for the Lions (6-5, 2-0 NEAC) with 19 points, while Chris Haynes racked up 18 of his own. Dylan Daniels added 16 points and four blocks, Zegary Scott III dished out a game-high nine assists and both Haynes and Donyae Baylor-Carroll swiped three steals on the day.
The home team jumped out to a 10-3 lead following Haynes' second 3-pointer of the game less than two minutes into the contest. Baylor-Carroll added a 3-ball a few minutes later to make the advantage 15-9 at the 14:49 mark.
From there, the Wildcats (4-6, 1-1 NEAC) put together a 14-4 run over the next seven minutes to pull ahead 23-19 with 7:08 left in the first half. Haynes stopped the bleeding with another triple and an old-fashioned 3-point play from Daniels drew the Blue & White even two minutes later.
The Lions roared to life late in the first half and closed it out with a game-changing 17-1 run that included seven points from Curry and six from Daniels to push the lead to 39-26 at the break.
The second half saw more strong play from Penn State Harrisburg, with a Baylor-Carroll jump shot stretching the advantage to 16 at the 17:48 mark before a Haynes trey and a Curry jumper pushed the lead to 52-33 with 14:47 remaining.
Scott III knocked down a pair of free throws to give the Blue & White a 21-point advantage with 9:23 left but SUNY Poly showed enough life to cut the deficit to 15 with 6:28 remaining. The Lions responded with a Pedro Rodriguez 3-ball and a 3-point play from Curry to put things out of reach with less than six minutes to go.
Inside the Numbers
- The Lions shot 52.8 percent from the floor and 36.8 percent from 3-point range.
- SUNY Poly shot 42.1 percent from the field and 33.3 percent from beyond the arc.
- The Wildcats edged Penn State Harrisburg 32-28 in the rebounding department.
- The Blue & White scored 28 points off Poly turnovers.
- Nate Curry poured in a career-high 19 points. He added four rebounds, an assist, a block and one steal.
- Chris Haynes netted a career-high 18 points on 7-11 shooting from the field and 50 percent shooting from 3-point territory. He also racked up five boards, four assists and three steals.
- Dylan Daniels scored 16 points to go along with five rebounds and four blocks.
- Donyae Baylor-Carroll had eight points, three assists and three steals.
- Pedro Rodriguez had a nice outing, scoring seven points and pulling down six boards.
- Zegary Scott III dished out a game-high nine rebounds to go along with four points, three rebounds and a pair of steals.
- Josh Gregory was the only Wildcat to reach the double-digit scoring mark with 17 points.
The Lions get right back to it when they host NEAC foe SUNY Cobleskill at the Capital Union Building on Sunday afternoon.