Nazareth 87, Penn State Harrisburg 82
Baylor-Carroll, Haynes, Scott III, Curry, Daniels
Green, Gabel, Nelson, Stenglein, Werner
How It Happened
Another slow start made things tough for Penn State Harrisburg in the team's 87-82 loss to Nazareth at Elizabethtown's Thompson Gymnasium on the final day of the Spooky Nook Tournament on Saturday afternoon, Jan. 4.
Despite battling through injury, Donyae Baylor-Carroll netted a game-high 24 points en route to being named to the all-tournament team. Dylan Daniels posted his second double-double in as many days behind 13 points and 12 rebounds and Nate Curry was the third player to reach the double-digit scoring mark with 14 and eight boards.
The Lions (5-5) found themselves trailing 18-5 with at the 14:24 mark of the opening half and head coach Don Friday used a timeout to regroup. From there, the Blue & White put together a 25-12 run capped by a Curry jumper from beyond the arc to pull even with 7:14 left before halftime.
Chris Haynes knocked down a pair of free throws to put Penn State Harrisburg ahead 36-32 later in the half but the Golden Flyers (7-3) ended the half on a 10-2 run and took a slim 42-38 advantage into the break.
Nazareth stretched its advantage to 51-43 early in the second half but another timeout called by Friday halted the Golden Flyers' momentum and helped spark the ensuing 13-0 Penn State Harrisburg run. Baylor-Carroll capped the spurt with a 3-ball that put the Lions out in front 54-51 with 11:38 left to play.
The Golden Flyers answered back, however, and eventually pushed their lead back to double digits with little more than five minutes remaining. The Blue & White clawed back and made one last push behind numerous timely 3-point jumpers from Baylor-Carroll and a Curry layup that cut the deficit to 81-79 with 1:45 left.
That's as close as the Lions would come to completing the comeback, however, as they were unable to get the combination of stop and bucket needed to draw even in the closing seconds.
Inside the Numbers
- The Lions shot 44.4 percent from the field, while Nazareth shot 49.1 percent from the floor.
- The Golden Flyers shot 50 percent from 3-point territory and the Blue & White shot 48 percent from distance.
- Penn State Harrisburg won the battle on the glass 38-31.
- Nazareth scored 23 points off Blue & White turnovers.
- The Golden Flyer bench outscored Penn State Harrisburg's reserves 36-16.
- The game featured eight lead changes and five ties.
- Donyae Baylor-Carroll was named to the all-tournament team after scoring 24 points on 50 percent shooting from the floor and 3-point range.
- Dylan Daniels recorded his fifth double-double of the year thanks to 13 points and 12 rebounds. He also added three rejections.
- Nate Curry netted 14 on 50 percent shooting to go along with eight boards.
- Zegary Scott III tallied eight points, seven rebounds and a pair of assists.
- Chris Haynes had seven points and two assists.
- Kevin Underwood's 22 points led the way for Nazareth.
The Lions return to North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) play when they host SUNY Poly at the Capital Union Building on Saturday afternoon, Jan. 11.