Elizabethtown 80, Penn State Harrisburg 71
Baylor-Carroll, Haynes, Scott III, Curry, Daniels
Dubois, Greene, Hockenberry, Moffatt, Nannen
How It Happened
Penn State Harrisburg fell into a hole it couldn't dig itself out of during an 80-71 loss at Elizabethtown on the opening night of the Spooky Nook Tournament at Etown's Thompson Gymnasium on Friday night, Jan. 3.
Donyae Baylor-Carroll had a big night, scoring a career-high 28 points to lead the way for the Lions (5-4). Dylan Daniels recorded a double-double with 12 points and 12 rebounds, while Nate Curry was the third player to reach the double-digit scoring mark with 15.
The Blue Jays (5-4) jumped out to a 14-4 advantage less than five minutes into the game and stretched the lead to 14 following a Bryce Green jump shot with 9:01 left in the opening half. Etown led by as many as 17 points in the first half and took a 42-26 advantage into the break.
The visitors finally got things going in the second half and cut the deficit to single digits thanks to a Baylor-Carroll 3-ball with 12:54 remaining. Trailing by seven with less than nine minutes to play, Baylor-Carroll stayed hot on three possessions in a row and netted six straight points to draw the Blue & White to within one.
The home team responded and eventually pushed its advantage back to eight before buckets from Daniels, Curry and three free throws from Baylor-Carroll cut the margin to 73-68 with 2:35 left to play. Unfortunately, the Lions were only able to manage one more field goal the rest of the way, allowing Etown to hold on for the win.
Inside the Numbers
- Elizabethtown shot 50 percent from the field, while the Lions shot 44.4 percent from the floor.
- The Blue Jays shot an impressive 46.7 percent from 3-point range. The Blue & White shot just 30.8 percent from distance.
- Etown won the rebounding battle 40-33.
- The home team got to the foul line 31 times, compared to just 12 trips to the stripe for Penn State Harrisburg.
- Donyae Baylor-Carroll poured in a career-high 28 points to go along with two steals and a pair of rebounds.
- Dylan Daniels tallied his fourth double-double of the season thanks to 12 points and 12 boards, He also posted five blocks.
- Nate Curry netted 15 and added five rebounds and three assists.
- Zegary Scott III had eight points, four assists, four boards and a steal.
- Connor Moffatt led the way for Elizabethtown with 24 points and 15 rebounds.
The Lions will face Nazareth in the consolation game of Elizabethtown's Spooky Nook Tournament on Saturday afternoon, Jan. 4.