York (Pa.) 71, Penn State Harrisburg 59
Coleman, Baylor-Carroll, Scott, Williams, Bing
Bady, Wagner, Frauenheim, Gordon, Polczynski
How It Happened
After hanging tough for most of the night, Penn State Harrisburg dropped a 71-59 decision to York (Pa.) in Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) action at Charles Wolf Gymnasium on Thursday, Jan. 31.
A trio of players in Chris Bing, Brandon Coleman and Zegary Scott III reached the double-digit scoring mark for the Lions (12-8, 4-5 CAC). Bing led the way with 15 points and eight rebounds, Coleman tallied 14 points and six boards and Scott added 10 points and four assists.
The Blue & White trailed by as many as nine early in the second half before methodically cutting into the deficit over an eight-minute span and taking a 48-47 lead when Donyae Baylor-Carroll knocked down a jumper from beyond the arc off a Coleman assist with 9:52 left to play.
Coleman kept the visitors in front with a runner in the lane a few moments later but the Spartans (14-6, 7-2 CAC) used an ensuing 8-0 run over the next 1:37 to jump back in front with seven minutes remaining.
The Lions clawed to with 63-57 with 3:58 left following a Bing offensive rebound and putback but they struggled to put the ball in the basket in the closing minutes, allowing York (Pa.) to extend the advantage to double digits and close out the narrow victory.
Neither team pulled ahead by more than six points in the opening half, with Coleman's eight points leading the way for Penn State Harrisburg in the first 20 minutes. After a Dylan Daniels jumper put the Blue & White up 26-22, the Spartans closed out the half with a 10-1 run to give the home team a 32-27 lead at the break.
Inside the Numbers
- The teams were nearly even shooting from the field, with York (Pa.) shooting 44.6 percent and the Lions shooting 43.9 percent.
- The Spartans connected on 11 3-pointers, while the Blue & White managed just four triples.
- The home team racked up 25 points off 17 Penn State Harrisburg turnovers.
- The Lions won the rebounding battle 37-29.
- Chris Bing recorded team-highs of 15 points, eight rebounds and two steals.
- Brandon Coleman posted 14 points, six boards and three assists.
- Zegary Scott III added 10 points, four assists and four rebounds.
- Donyae Baylor-Carroll finished with eight points, three boards and a pair of assists.
- Kahlil Williams had six points and four rebounds.
- Dylan Daniels added four points, six rebounds and three blocks in 12 minutes off the bench.
- Joey Polczynski led the way with 16 points for the Spartans.
The Lions face another tough test when they host CAC foe Salisbury at the Capital Union Building on Saturday afternoon, Feb. 2.