Penn State Harrisburg 76, St. Mary's (Md.) 69
Wise, Coleman, Scott, Williams, Bing
Rouse, Newsome, Spooner, Milstead, Christian
How It Happened
Led by huge outings from Chris Bing and Donyae Baylor-Carroll, Penn State Harrisburg held off a late run by St. Mary's (Md.) to pick up a crucial 76-69 victory in Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) at the Capital Union Building on Wednesday night, Jan. 23.
Bing posted another double-double, leading the way with a career-high 27 points and 11 rebounds, while Baylor-Carroll was deadly from 3-point range en route to 19 points. Keenan Wise was the third Penn State Harrisburg player to reach the double-digit scoring mark with 15 tallies.
After having led by as much as 58-44 with 6:27 left to play, the Lions (11-7, 3-4 CAC) watched their advantage evaporate to as little as 71-69 with 48 seconds remaining. From there, the Blue & White performed well down the stretch, as Brandon Coleman, Baylor-Carroll and Zegary Scott III combined to convert five free throws. The defense also kept the Seahawks (7-11, 1-6) off the board the rest of the way.
Penn State Harrisburg held a 36-32 lead at halftime before eventually stretching the advantage to as many as 17 points, aided by 7-0 run midway through the second half that included an old-fashioned 3-point play by Wise and four points from Bing.
The opening minutes saw the Blue & White expand an early lead to 20-8 following a Baylor-Carroll jumper from beyond the arc at the 11:56 mark. Another DBC triple pushed it to 25-13 before the visitors put together a run that cut their deficit to single digits in the final minutes of the first half.
Inside the Numbers
- The Lions shot 46 percent (23-of-50) from the field and a stellar 50 percent (7-of-14) from 3-point territory.
- St. Mary's (Md.) shot just 28 percent (7-of-25) from 3-point range.
- Penn State Harrisburg finished 23-of-31 from the charity stripe (74.2 percent), while the Seahawks shot just 47.8 percent (11-of-23) from the foul line.
- The Blue & White won the rebounding battle 40-34.
- Chris Bing had a big night, netting a career-high 27 points to go along with 11 boards, three blocks, three assists and a steal.
- Donyae Baylor-Carroll dropped 19 on 5-of-8 shooting from 3-point territory and 4-of-4 shooting from the foul line. He also had three rebounds, two assists and a steal.
- Keenan Wise added 15 points, as well as two boards and a pair of assists.
- Brandon Coleman chipped in with six points, five rebounds, two assists and a steal.
- Zegary Scott III had four points, four boards, two assists and one steal.
- Matt Ayoub scored 13 points to lead the way for St. Mary's (Md.).
The Lions head south to wrap up the season series with CAC foe Southern Virginia on Saturday afternoon, Jan. 26.