No. 18 Christopher Newport 89, Penn State Harrisburg 61
Coleman, Baylor-Carroll, Scott, Williams, Bing
Gibbs, Carter, Femi, Aigner, Chappell
How It Happened
Penn State Harrisburg was unable to slow down one of the nation's top teams in an 89-61 loss to No. 18 Christopher Newport in Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) action at CNU's Freeman Center on Saturday afternoon, Jan. 19.
Chris Bing did all he could to keep the Lions (10-7, 2-4 CAC) in it, scoring a team-high 20 points on 9-of-9 shooting from the field to go along with seven rebounds, two assists and two steals. Donyae Baylor-Carroll was the only other Penn State Harrisburg player to reach the double-digit scoring mark with 10.
With the Blue & White still in striking distance following a jumper by Zegary Scott III that drew the visitors to within six at 29-23 at the 7:25 mark of the first half, the Captains (15-2, 5-1 CAC) took control by closing out the final seven minutes with a game-changing 18-4 run.
Brandon Coleman knocked down a jumper from beyond the arc to cut the deficit to less than 20 points early in the second half but the Lions struggled to make any real progress as the minutes ticked away. Struggling to put together consecutive possessions that ended in points, Penn State Harrisburg was never able to make a run to get back into it.
The Lions proved game in the early going and jumped out to an 11-5 advantage following a Baylor-Carroll 3-ball at the 16:03 mark. CNU eventually pulled ahead at the 13:59 mark but the visitors continued to scrap and keep things close well past the midway point of the first half.
Inside the Numbers
- The Lions shot 40 percent from the floor (22-of-55) but just 25 percent from beyond the arc (3-for-12).
- CNU shot 47.8 percent from the field and knocked down 13 3-pointers on 37.1 percent shooting.
- The Captains edged the Blue & White on the glass at 40-37.
- Christopher Newport's bench outscored the Lions' reserves 25-11.
- Chris Bing led the way with 20 points, seven rebounds, two assists and two steals. He was 9-for-9 from the field.
- Donyae Baylor-Carroll netted 10 to go along with three boards and a pair of assists.
- Brandon Coleman added seven points, six rebounds, three assists and a steal.
- Zegary Scott III posted seven points, three assists and two boards of his own.
- Kahlil Williams pulled down six rebounds to go along with six points and a block.
- Dylan Daniels chipped in with six points off the bench.
- Savonte Chappell scored a game-high 22 points for CNU.
The Lions return to the friendly confines of the Capital Union Building to host CAC foe St. Mary's (Md.) on Wednesday night, Jan. 23.