Carthage 88, Penn State Harrisburg 83
Baylor-Carroll, Nelson, Scott, Alliyu, Williams
Canady, Kedrowski, Laketa, Baltimore, Johnson
How It Happened
Penn State Harrisburg fell just short of completing a massive comeback in the team's narrow 88-83 loss to Carthage on the final day of the HoopMIA D3 Holiday Shootout on the campus of Barry University in Miami, Fla. on Wednesday night, Dec. 19.
Donyae Baylor-Carroll scored a team-high 20 points for the Lions (8-3), while Keenan Wise, Kahlil Williams and Chris Bing joined him in reaching the double-digit scoring mark. Wise racked up a season-best 19 points, while Williams and Bing added 15 points apiece.
The Blue & White trailed by as many as 18 points midway through the second half but with less than five minutes remaining, the Lions put together a furious rally that cut the double-digit deficit to as little as three points in the closing moments.
Down 82-66 with 5:31 left to play, Penn State Harrisburg went on a massive 15-2 run over a span of 3:04 that included seven points from Wise and a rare 4-point play from Carroll. The outburst was capped by Brandon Coleman's jumper from beyond the arc that drew the Lions to within 84-81 with 2:27 remaining.
After the Red Men (6-6) converted a layup on their next possession, Williams knocked down a jump shot while being fouled in the final minute to keep it a one-possession game. The Blue & White got the ball back with less than 30 seconds left but a pair of 3-point attempts were off the mark. The Lions were forced to foul and Carthage made a pair of free throws that ended Penn State Harrisburg's impressive comeback attempt.
The Lions led by as much as seven at 24-17 following a Wise layup midway through the opening half but the Red Men used a big run late in the first to take a 49-36 advantage into halftime. Harrisburg spent much of the rest of the contest clawing back from a steady double-digit deficit.
Inside the Numbers
- Carthage shot 52.4 percent from the field, while the Lions posted a 42.9 percent shooting clip from the floor.
- The Red Men shot 44 percent from 3-point range. The Blue & White managed a 36.8 percent rate from beyond the arc.
- Penn State Harrisburg won the rebounding battle 39-29.
- The Lions' bench was stellar, outscoring the Carthage reserves 43-3.
- The Red Men scored 23 points off Penn State Harrisburg's 16 turnovers.
- The Blue & White racked up 40 of its points in the paint.
- Donyae Baylor-Carroll netted a team-high 20 points to go along with five rebounds, three assists and a steal.
- Keenan Wise knocked down five 3-pointers en route to a season-high 19 points off the bench. He also grabbed four boards.
- Kahlil Williams flirted with a double-double, finishing with 15 points and seven rebounds.
- Chris Bing added 15 points and five boards in a reserve role.
- Brandon Coleman chipped in with six points, five rebounds and three assists off the bench.
- Preston Laketa scored a game-high 28 points for Carthage.
The Lions will have two weeks to enjoy the holiday break before returning to action when they open Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) play by hosting Southern Virginia at the Capital Union Building on Wednesday night, Jan. 2.