N.C. Wesleyan 12, Penn State Harrisburg 8
1. McSorley ss, 2. Smith cf, 3. Williams lf, 4. Van Houten 3b, 5. Winters rf, 6. Aug c, 7. Koroneos 1b, 8. Parks 2b, 9. Barge dh, De Leon p
1. Titmus ss, 2. Murray 1b, 3. Pennington 2b, 4. Johnson rf, 5. Beaver c, 6. Lyon dh, 7. Padgett cf, 8. Vigo lf, 9. Posilero 3b, Williams p
How It Happened
The Penn State Harrisburg bats came to life in the final innings but it proved too little too late in a 12-8 loss at N.C. Wesleyan on Saturday afternoon, March 7.
Bret Williams went 2-for-5 with a home run, two RBI and a pair of runs scored, while Ryan McSorley finished 3-for-5 with a run scored from the leadoff spot. Carson barge also had a multi-hit day, going 2-for-3 with a homer, an RBI and two runs scored.
The Lions (3-3) faced a daunting 11-1 deficit heading into the top of the eighth before a two-run shot from Williams gave the visitors a small spark. Barge hit a solo shot in the top of the ninth, leading a two-out rally that saw the Blue & White load the bases before Ben Closson cleared them with a double to left field.
A pair of walks and a hit by pitch allowed the tying run to come to the plate for Penn State Harrisburg but the Battling Bishops (6-9) were able to strand the runners and hold on for what ended up being a much-closer victory than originally anticipated.
At the Plate
- The Lions had four extra-base hits, while N.C. Wesleyan managed just two.
- Bret Williams was 2-for-5 with a two-run home run, two RBI and a pair of runs scored.
- Carson Barge finished 2-for-3 with a solo home run and two runs scored.
- Ryan McSorley racked up three hits from the leadoff position.
On the Mound
- Michael De Leon got the start for the Blue & White, exiting after four innings of work during which he allowed two runs on three hits and two walks.
- Kevin Williams got the win for N.C. Wesleyan after throwing the first seven innings, striking out seven batters and allowing just one run on four hits and two walks.
Around the Diamond
- The Lions committed three errors, leading to two unearned runs.
- Casey Winters stole the only base of the game.
- Ryan McSorley had six assists from his shortstop position.
The Lions will try to earn a weekend split with N.C. Wesleyan on Sunday afternoon, March 8. First pitch is set for 1 p.m.