Penn State Harrisburg 7, Alvernia 4
1. Torres 2b, 2. Smith cf, 3. Williams lf, 4. Van Houten dh, 5. Winters rf, 6. McSorley ss, 7. Koroneos 1b, 8. Struve 3b, 9. Aug c, Vogwill p
1. Shaffer dh, 2. Cirilli 2b, 3. Sides ss, 4. Briner 1b, 5. Rieger rf, 6. Salesky c, 7. Corn lf, 8. Levan 3b, 9. Ginder, Carfrey p
How It Happened
With the team's 7-4 victory at Alvernia on Monday afternoon, April 22, Penn State Harrisburg clinched its seventh win in its last nine outings.
Miguel Torres had a big day, going 2-for-2 with a home run, three RBIs and three walks. Bret Williams was also perfect at the plate, finishing 3-for-3 with a double, an RBI and a run scored, while Tyler Aug finished with a double and three runs scored. Mason Vogwill was impressive on the bump, throwing five innings and surrendering just one run on four hits.
After four scoreless innings, the Lions (25-10-1) got on the board first when Jackson Struve's sacrifice fly drove in McSorley in the top of the fifth. A two-run home run from Torres pushed the lead to 3-0 before the inning was out and a solo shot from Chase Smith added to the breathing room heading into the sixth.
The Golden Wolves (22-12-2) broke their scoreless drought with a single run in the bottom of the sixth but the Blue & White tacked on two more in the next half inning thanks to a sac fly from Torres that brought Aug across and a Casey Winters' single that scored Williams.
Alvernia again cut the deficit to three after adding a pair of runs in the seventh but Williams tacked on an insurance run when his sacrifice fly to right field allowed Aug to score for the third time on the day. The home team scored one run in the bottom of the ninth but reliever Kieran Kearns got a ground out and a pop out in consecutive at-bats to end the game.
At the Plate
- Miguel Torres finished 2-for-2 with a home run, three RBIs and three walks.
- Bret Williams went 3-for-3 with a double, a walk, an RBI and a run scored.
- Tyler Aug was 2-for-4 with a double, a walk and three runs scored.
- Ryan McSorley ended up 2-for-4 with a double and a run scored.
On the Mound
- Mason Vogwill got the start and the win, allowing just one run on four hits and three walks. He also struck out five batters in five innings of work.
- Alvernia's Tim Carfrey took the loss, allowing four runs on six hits and three walks in four innings thrown.
Around the Diamond
- The Lions committed the lone error of the game.
- Neither team was able to steal a base.
- Miguel Torres racked up six putouts and assisted on four more at second base.
- Chase Smith tallied four putouts in center field.
The Lions open their final Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) series of the season when they travel to Frostburg State on Friday afternoon, April 26. First pitch is set for 3:30 p.m.