Penn State Harrisburg 15, York (Pa.) 2
1. Williams lf, 2. Smith cf, 3. Torres ss, 4. Van Houten dh, 5. Winters rf, 6. McSorley 3b 7. Koroneos 1b, 8. Aug c, 9. Struve 2b, Gettys p
1. Oberholtzer cf, 2. Denlinger ss, 3. White rf, 4. Barry 1b, 5. Acierno 3b, 6. Southern c, 7. Wiegers lf, 8. Turner dh, 9. Doan 2b, Haggerty p
How It Happened
After dropping a pair of games to York (Pa.) the previous day, Penn State Harrisburg responded in a big way by drubbing the Spartans 15-2 in the final contest of a three-game weekend series on Sunday afternoon, March 24.
The Lions (12-4-1, 4-2 CAC) were paced at the plate by three RBI each from Travis Van Houten and Ryan McSorley, while Zach Gettys and Tyler Jackson were fantastic on the mound, combining to allow just one earned run on four hits.
The Blue & White got going early when a Van Houten single to center field drove in Miguel Torres with two away in the bottom of the first. Before the inning was out, McSorley doubled the lead with a single through the left side that brought Van Houten across.
The Spartans (10-2, 5-1 CAC) took advantage of an error to get on the board in the top of the third and the home team held a slim 2-1 lead over the next three stanzas.
Penn State Harrisburg began to create some breathing room thanks to the long ball when McSorley and Zachary Koroneos hit back-to-back home runs in the bottom of the sixth frame. The Lions tacked on two more in the next inning when a Van Houten double to the gap in right center plated Chase Smith before Van Houten came around on a wild pitch later in the seventh.
The home team blew the doors off in the bottom of the eighth, as the Blue & White used a pair of hits, three walks, three hit by pitches and three York (Pa.) errors to tally nine runs in the stanza. Tyler Aug, Jackson Struve, Bret Williams, Smith, Torres, Tucker Ell, Matt Taylor and McSorley all pushed across in the frame.
At the Plate
- Travis Van Houten finished 2-for-4 with a double, a walk, three RBI and two runs scored.
- Ryan McSorley went 2-for-5 with a home run, driving in three runs and scoring two more.
- Jackson Struve was 2-for-4 with a double, a walk, pair of RBI and a run scored.
- Miguel Torres went 2-for-4 with a walk and two runs scored.
- Zachary Koroneos homered, drove in a pair of runs and scored two more.
On the Mound
- Zach Gettys was stellar, picking up the win after not allowing an earned run, surrendering two hits and striking out seven batters.
- Tyler Jackson had a strong relief outing, giving up one run on two hits and one walk in 1.2 innings of work. He added a pair of strikeouts.
- Brandon Haggerty took the loss for York (Pa.), allowing four runs on eight hits and a walk in six innings thrown.
Around the Diamond
- Miguel Torres was a terror on the base path, swiping two bags and forcing an errant pickoff attempt.
- The Spartans stole one base.
- York (Pa.) committed four errors on the day, leading to six unearned runs.
- Middle infielders Torres and Jackson Struve combined for seven assists.
- Casey Winters had three putouts in right field.
The Lions head to Ursinus for a non-conference outing on Tuesday afternoon, March 26.