Penn State Harrisburg Hall of Fame Charter
- The purpose of the Penn State Harrisburg Athletics Hall of Fame is to commemorate the achievements of those student-athletes, coaches, administrators, and staff who have distinguished themselves through excellence in athletic performance and service.
- Student-athletes, coaches, and others from 2005 and later will be defined as modern-day candidates; student-athletes, coaches and others prior to 2005 will be categorized as pre-NCAA-era candidates.
- This charter will serve as the bylaws for the Penn State Harrisburg Athletics Hall of Fame following its opening and the induction of its first class in 2020.
- The name is the Penn State Harrisburg Athletics Hall of Fame.
- There are five distinct categories of candidates: student-athletes, teams, coaches, athletic administrators and staff members.
- For student-athletes, graduation from Penn State Harrisburg and/or the Pennsylvania State University is a significant consideration for induction into the Penn State Harrisburg Athletics Hall of Fame. In exceptional cases the selection committee may consider decorated student-athletes who left Penn State Harrisburg in good standing but did not graduate from the school. Former student-athletes who are nominated for consideration must be at least five years removed from their final year of competition.
- For teams to be nominated for consideration, there must be at least 10 years removed from their final date of competition
- Coaches, administrators and staff must serve with distinction and be a minimum of five years removed from employment in order to receive consideration.
- Pre- and post-Penn State Harrisburg accomplishments can factor into a nominee’s candidacy as long as they fall within the sphere of athletic achievement and have some connection to the nominee’s athletic career at Penn State Harrisburg.
IV. Nomination Process
The selection committee will consider nominations from any source as long as adequate information is provided. Nominations may be made using the online nomination form on the Penn State Harrisburg website or in written form sent to the Sports Information Director. Nominations should include the following information:
- Name of nominee
- Graduation year of nominee (if applicable)
- Nominee category (student-athlete, staff, coach, administrator)
- Sport(s) played at Penn State Harrisburg
- Athletic accomplishments at Penn State Harrisburg
- Comments or other supporting information, including relevant non-Penn State Harrisburg athletic accomplishments
- Nominator’s contact information (name, email address, phone number, alma mater/year, relation to nominee)
All nominations will be considered for a five-year period. If a candidate has not been inducted after five years, he or she must be re-nominated at that time to receive further consideration.
V. Selection & Governing Committees
- The selection committee will be composed of members and will include at least one coach, one alumnus or alumna, one member of the faculty and one member of the athletics staff. The sports information director will serve as an ex-officio member and will chair the selection committee. The final members may be drawn from any of the above categories or the school community at large.
- Members of the selection committee will serve a three-year term, with an option to serve a second consecutive term.
- The selection committee will meet twice a year to review and vote upon nominations for the next class of inductees and to propose any amendments to the charter.
- In addition, there will be an ex-officio, four-person Governing Committee, which will consist of the Chancellor, the Director of Athletics, the Director of Development (or designee), and the Director of Marketing and Communications (or designee). The purpose of the group will be to review induction decisions and amendments to the charter. The Director of Athletics will chair the Governing Committee and serve as the budget administrator for the Hall of Fame.
- The chair of the selection committee will nominate new members for the committee when vacancies occur and will seek to ensure that the selection committee is representative of the Penn State Harrisburg community and its athletic programs. The nominees will be approved by the full membership of the selection committee.
VI. Class Composition
- No more than five individuals may be inducted in a year. The selection committee, at its discretion, may choose to induct no candidates in a given year, but not for two consecutive years.
- There are no other restrictions regarding the number of modern-day candidates, pre-NCAA-era candidates, coaches, athletic administrators or staff who may be inducted in a given year.
VII. Selection Process
- At least six members of the selection committee must be present, either in person or via conference call, in order to satisfy a quorum.
- The selection process shall begin with a discussion of all nominated candidates.
- Following discussion, there will be an initial round of voting to reduce the number of finalists to 10 candidates. To accomplish this, each committee member may cast votes in support of up to five nominees.
- The committee then will select the inductees from the pool of finalists through a vote. Any nominee receiving 70 percent or more of the votes of the full committee shall be inducted that year, understanding that no more than five people may be inducted in a year. In the event more than five people receive 70 percent or more of the votes, the committee will vote on those candidates in rank order to reduce the number to no more than five.
- If, at the end of the voting process, more candidates have the requisite number of votes for induction than there are spaces available, the nominees with the most votes will be inducted first.
- If there are multiple candidates with an equal number of votes for the final spot, a run-off vote will determine which candidate receives induction into the current class.
- Should a member of the selection committee also be a candidate for the Penn State Harrisburg Athletics Hall of Fame, he or she must recuse him or herself.
VIII. Announcement & Ceremony
- The director of athletics or his or her designee will inform the individuals selected for induction immediately following the decision.
- The induction ceremony will occur in the fall.
IX. Amendments & Review
- This charter will be reviewed annually and members of the selection committee may propose amendments.
- In order to pass, proposed amendments must receive support from two-thirds of the selection committee.